Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


September 24, 2005

Tin ear

You would think with Ken Mehlman, a Jewish guy, running the Republican National Committee, it might occur to them to schedule a fundraiser sometime other than on Rosh Hashanah. But you would be wrong.


I made a respectable contribution to the President's re-election campaign a year ago (my first contribution to a presidential campaign since I gave a dollar to Humphrey in 1968). Of course, I've been snowed under with appeals for money ever since. I don't have any plans to give more money, not because I'm unusually disgusted with the Republicans (just usually disgusted) but because last year was a unique situation for the good of the country. Still, this invitation really irritates me.

OK, sure, dinner's at 6:00 p.m., when a lot of folks have already forgotten they went to shul in the morning, and the reception's at 7:30, a few seconds after the yom tov is over. But that wouldn't even have been an issue had they chosen a different date.

I wasn't going to post the invitation at all, because I didn't want to involve the poor shnook who's hosting it at his house, but I did a quick Google search and discovered that Shelly Kamins is a member of the board of the Republican Jewish Coalition. I was going to ask where the RJC was during the planning of this event, but now I know.