Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


May 06, 2007

Queen

Leave it to the Washington Post to give some really useful etiquette tips for the Queen's visit, including (and I swear I'm not making this up): "Along the same lines, do not ask her to pull your finger. This will give you away as a rube from the Colonies." Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a joke. At the same link, the Post also offers letters from Americans -- what they would say if they had a few seconds with the Queen. Really pathetic. The only decent one is this: "I loved you as Helen Mirren."

Meanwhile, Marc Fisher is absolutely indignant about the deference Americans are showing to the Queen. He's got a point, especially with the editorialist who wrote, "We are Elizabeth's subjects and she our monarch for a day," although I would call most of what he cites simple adoration of celebrity. (Note the letter writer's comment above about the movie.) Besides which, at least she's got a lot more dignity than Diana.

Bonus: One of my all time favorite Beatles songs is Her Majesty:

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
But she doesn't have a lot to say
Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
But she changes from day to day

I want to tell her that I love her a lot
But I gotta get a bellyful of wine
Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
Someday I'm going to make her mine, oh yeah
Someday I'm going to make her mine