Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


March 07, 2006

Where the time is going

If you're wondering why there's less content here than usual, I have an explanation.

Since my father died in early January, I've been saying kaddish three times a day. I figured out that, including transportation time, I spend about 15 hours a week at shul, not including on shabbat, when I wouldn't be working on Pillage Idiot, anyway. My job still requires full-time output; my family still requires my attention; my mother's finances need attending to; and, always, there's kaddish. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I'm committed to it. He was my father, after all.

A typical weekday evening: I get home from work between 7 and 7:30. Shovel down some food. Go to shul for maariv at 8, get home around 8:25, spend some time with wife and kids, and figure out what I can do between then and bedtime, which (by the way) is somewhat earlier than before, since I get up around 5:10 a.m. to be able to get to shacharit by 6:30, or earlier, depending on the day of the week.

So (1) I read the news and blogs less; (2) I have less time to think; and (3) I have less time to write.

If I didn't enjoy writing about stupid things, I'd probably close down Pillage Idiot. But I really want to try to keep it going if possible. I'll still have stuff up here often, but not always every day.

I just thought you might be interested in what's happening.