Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


October 31, 2004

Arlen Specter -- feh!

I don't live in Pennsylvania, but with the strong possibility that the Republicans could pick up seats in the Senate, I won't be sorry if Pennsylvanians vote against Arlen Specter. Specter, if re-elected, is in line to be chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and could make it difficult for President Bush (assuming his re-election) to get his judicial nominees through the committee. Considering that the Democrats have taken to filibustering judicial nominees, we don't need Republicans to do even more damage in-house. Although Bush endorsed Specter early, I am totally confident that Specter will feel no obligation to Bush.

Specter's history with judicial nominees is a big deal for me. I became a Republican in 1987, because I was totally disgusted with the attacks on Robert Bork that the Democrats orchestrated. Specter was there to help them out. I remember laughing at how ignorant his questioning of Bork was, but he ultimately had the last laugh. I give Specter a little credit for helping to debunk Anita Hill's charges against Clarence Thomas, but this is something he's spent the last 13 years apologizing for. How much credit does he really deserve?