Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


May 21, 2008

Remaking TV dinners

With HDTVs now selling for upwards of $1000, it shouldn't surprise you that in some places TV dinners can sell for $30. (via Fark)

At least, they can if you eat at a toney restaurant at the Regency Hotel in New York. (Of course, in New York, it can cost you more than that to park your car for three hours, as I found out last week. So $30 is downright cheap for dinner.)

Now, you're probably thinking: "This sounds fantastic. I've been dying to eat a TV dinner since about 1964. I loved the gravy that came with the turkey, because I used the leftovers for wallpaper paste. What would I get for my $30?" Well, here's one option:

Pot Roast slow-cooked in Burgundian Pinot Noir. The eye of the roast is served with a trio of baby potatoes, including purple Peruvian, Russian banana and red bliss. Side dishes: Red cabbage made in a blend of red vinegar, brown sugar and fresh steamed broccoli. Dessert is Vahlrona chocolate pudding with a touch of whipped cream.
You can see the two others by clicking here and clicking on the other images at the bottom.

If you want to reminisce about the Swanson's TV dinners of the 1950s, try the official website here. And this video is apparently a Swanson TV commercial, though I'm not sure from when. I'd guess well after the 1950s.