Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


August 30, 2007

That sickening feeling

After having gently mocked the Orioles for losing 30-3 last week, I have only one word about my own team, the Mets:

Gevalt!

They just finished a four-game series in Philadelphia against the second-place Phillies and ended up with a grand total of NO wins. And boy, was it a painful series.

I've been a Mets fan all my life, and I enjoy following them, but in some sense, I've emotionally distanced myself from them. Sure, if they make the playoffs, I get really into it, but for ordinary games, I tend to adopt an attitude of "que sera sera." But this awful series has caused me a great deal of psychic and gastroenterological pain.

Last night, down 3-2 in the top of the ninth, the Mets had the tying run on third and the go-ahead run on first with one out. The runner on first was Marlon Anderson, a recent pickup for the Mets who's been outstanding as a pinch-hitter and occasional sub. Shawn Green at the plate -- a guy my sons call "The Jew" -- hit a slow roller to short, and he probably would have beat the relay throw from second on an attempted double play. That would have tied the game. But Anderson indulged in a little irrational exuberance and took out the second-baseman. The umpire called interference, meaning Green was out at first. Game over. (Video here.)

Today, the Mets were down 5-0 but rallied to tie it at 5-5. Immediately, the Phils got three runs to take an 8-5 lead. In the eighth, the Mets scored 5 runs to go ahead, 10-8. Then, in a move for which Willie Randolph is getting some grief, Billy Wagner was brought in with the intention of keeping him in for two innings. He's almost strictly a ninth-inning closer. Wagner allowed one run in the eighth, and it was 10-9. In the bottom of the ninth, Wagner fell apart and allowed two runs to lose, 11-10. Did I mention that Wagner used to pitch for the Phillies and left on less than amicable terms?

Boy, that was painful! And I haven't even mentioned Tuesday's 10th inning loss.