Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


February 11, 2008

The non-lunch

I don't get much chance to meet other bloggers. Mostly it's my own choice, because I crave anonymity.

Actually, that's a lie. It's usually the other bloggers' choice, because they tend to ask, "Attila WHO?"

One blogger who doesn't ask, "Attila WHO?" is Little Miss Attila, my "cousin," with whom I've had lunch the previous two years while she was in town for CPAC.

LMA was in town this past week, but we didn't have lunch this year. I know it was nothing personal, because a lot was happening at CPAC, what with the McCain speech and all. (By the way, if you haven't seen my photo comic version of that speech, now's the time to read it.)

In fact, I urge you to go to Little Miss Attila right away to read her various reports, because there's a lot of excellent stuff there, not least of which are the photos of her with well known bloggers (John Hawkins) and columnists (Mark Steyn).

She's also got a description of Ace's speech when he presented with the Blogger of the Year award. The video of the speech is here.

Regarding Ace, Hawkins had a wonderful description, which I excerpt:

Ace runs a pretty wild blog, uses a lot of profanity, and so I'm thinking, "Hey, here's a great opportunity for a 'Coulter' moment. Ace could come out wearing a Motorhead 'Ace of Spades' t-shirt, spit beer into the crowd, drop a few F-bombs. This could be great!"

So, when I finally see Ace I am completely and utterly shocked because he sort of looks like Mark Steyn. But, I figure, "Hey, maybe the guy is just dressed up for the convention, you know like a thug who gets dressed up for court."

But, then Ace starts to talk and -- dude, he sounds like a political science professor. He talks about the differences between European and American political parties and I am wondering if somebody conked Ace on the head and replaced him with a local college professor.
There sure is some cognitive dissonance there....

And as for my "cousin" Little Miss Attila, next year isn't an election year, so please pencil me in for lunch when you're here. If you remember what a pencil is.