Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


May 08, 2006

Dis-memberment in Saudi Arabia

James Taranto has a running series called "Not Too Brite," which mocks "Reuters" (the "news" agency that abuses "scare quotes") for putting ghoulish stories in a category called "Oddly Enough."

This Reuters story is really, truly gross, and if you can't deal with acts of dismemberment, click here to go to the next post.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Here's how the Reuters article begins: "Surgeons have reattached the penis of a Saudi man who paid the price for trying to have sex with his Filipina maid and she attacked him with a knife, a hospital source said on Monday."

I'm not sure I'd want any operation done on me in Saudi Arabia, even if I were Saudi. And this cements that view: "'This is a sophisticated operation. You are dealing with an organ in a difficult area and you want to try to return to its efficiency,' said a spokesman at Riyadh's Takhassusi Hospital." An organ in a difficult area? As far as I'm concerned, Saudi Arabia is a very difficult area.

I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't want to be a Filipina maid in Saudi Arabia after dis-membering my boss, even though I was provoked: "Earlier this month newspapers reported that the maid removed her employer's manhood when he tried to molest her in the middle of the night as his wife was sleeping. The maid is now in police custody." I'm sure she's been read her Miranda rights, don't you think?

And this statement from the hospital spokesman is very reassuring: "The hospital has done this kind of operation before, but only after people had car accidents."