Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


June 06, 2005

My federalist dope

I consider myself a federalist, but I can't say I'm upset about the Supreme Court's decision today upholding the federal government's power to prohibit the use of medical marijuana despite state law authorizing it. My motto is Nino sequitur.

But, inspired by the complaining coming from a significant part of the libertarian-conservative arena, I have written a protest song about the decision. No music, but you should imagine a generic 60s-era crappy protest song.

My Federalist Dope

I'm sick of it, sick of it,
Churnin' and heavin',
So why shouldn't I now
Abandon all hope?
My nausea's back when
I read John Paul Stevens,
Who keeps me from smokin'
My federalist dope.
Yes, he keeps me from smokin'
My federalist dope.


The framers, the framers,
They gave Congress power
To regulate commerce as
All had agreed.
But they limited Congress
That very same hour
To keep it from banning
My medical weed.
Yes, to keep it from banning
My medical weed.


No matter my sickness,
Prescription, or promise,
I'm s--- out of luck
And there isn't a point.
And now, despite Rehnquist,
O'Connor, and Thomas,
I can't even puff on an
Intrastate joint.
No, I can't even puff on an
Intrastate joint.

(Copyright 2005)