Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


April 27, 2006

Cracking the WHIP -- fantasy baseball status report

Before the season started, I gave you my advice about drafting a fantasy baseball team, which involved focusing very much on WHIP (walks plus hits per innings pitched) when choosing pitchers. I noted that I had drawn a lousy slot in the draft (9th out of 10), and that this season would test my theory.

Nearly four weeks later, things are going surprisingly well. I'm second in the 10-team league, trailing only the guy with the 10th draft pick. Go figure. My hitting has been very good, even though I have stars (Abreu, A. Jones, M. Cabrera) but no superstars. My pitching took a while to settle in. For the first few weeks, I was languishing in 6th to 8th place, but things have picked up since. Pedro is pitching well; Ben Sheets is back from the DL; and I snagged Bronson Arroyo from the free agent list.

There's a large gap between me and 3rd place, but it's still very early in the season, and there's no time to be complacent.