Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


August 07, 2007

Another reason not to use ads

I've mentioned a couple of times that I don't have Google Ads -- or any ads at all -- on this site, because I treat Pillage Idiot entirely as a hobby. I'm very fortunate to make enough money in my day job that a few bucks from ads on this low-traffic blog wouldn't be such a big deal. I don't mean to imply any criticism of bloggers who advertise, especially people who really need extra income, but for me, being ad-free keeps the site clean, my mind pure, and -- uh, wait a minute!

Anyway, here's another reason not to have Google Ads. Earlier today, someone visited Pillage Idiot by doing a search for "penal law 245.01 penis." To explain: In June, I wrote one post about the seal oosik, or penis, and another post called "De minimis non curat lex?" about a woman who'd settled a lawsuit against the City of New York that arose out of her arrest for walking topless in Manhattan in the wee hours of the morning. (That latter post alone, by the way, got me about 9,000 or 10,000 site visits, including 6,000 hits from search engines.)

I clicked on the link to the visitor's search and discovered this page. Click to enlarge it (oops, careful what I say!).


I realize that's a sponsored link at Google, not a Google ad, but considering the stuff I write about here, a context-based ad like that could have been on my front page. Yikes!