Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


June 14, 2006

Now with more nudity seekers

When your blog is called "Pillage Idiot," it turns out -- just from the way search engines work -- that you get a lot of visitors who use the search term "idiot." I've had many visitors arriving based on searches for "idiot bush" or "al gore is an idiot" or "sheehan idiot."

When you have posts about Jewish things, you get visitors searching for "X jewish" (where X is anyone famous you may have mentioned at one point: Ben Bernanke, Josh Bolten, Gen. Hayden, George Bush, and even George Washington.

What's interesting, though, is that when you run an occasional series called "Naked News," discussing news stories involving naked people, in a cheap attempt (as I usually say) to increase site traffic, you end up with a heck of a lot of hits from searches for "naked news." And my post is only 12th on Google for that search, last time I looked, which means that you folks seeking naked news must be pretty persistent, pretty diligent, to reach Pillage Idiot.

And now, my referral tracking at extremetracking.com, which I set up last August, shows that "naked" has recently outpaced "idiot" as the top search term. "Nude" is in 10th place. ("Jewish" is 9th; "jew" is 19th.)

In a way, this is sad. My repeated comment about increasing site traffic with posts about naked news is a joke, because hardly any of these visitors ever come back.

I think the problem is that I don't have photos to accompany the posts.