Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


August 29, 2005

Hungering for the fake in life

This story in the Style section of the Washington Post is gross, even by my immature standards, so don't read it if you are easily made ill at the corruption of our culture.

In fact, if you are, please scroll to the next post right away, because I have to quote the single most repellent thing in the whole article, which has to do with a contest held by a bar in Ocean City, Maryland, in which the winner receives $5000 for what I will delicately refer to as elective plastic surgery for women.

The article quotes one woman who, in my opinion, sums up what's wrong with our culture. Call me prudish, call me narrow-minded, but that's the way I see it. Turn away now or forever hold your peace.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

She got her 34D breasts, tonight squeezed into a low-cut red top, five weeks ago. She loves them.

"It's so empowering," she says. "It just changes your way of thinking in life. . . . It's like you're untouchable. Everybody wants you."

She paid $4,400 for them, and she says the surgery was "the best thing I ever did in my life" -- better than her marriage, her kids, everything, she says. It's part of a larger dream: She wants to be 55, her kids off at college, lying on a beach in Miami and looking fabulous.

But isn't that a little superficial? What if life isn't all about great [breasts]?

"But it is," she says. "It's the one thing that can make you powerful for life. Honestly."
Isn't that great? Fake body parts are better than your marriage and your kids. Well, at least she's powerful for life.