Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


March 06, 2008

How did we get here?

This is one of the funniest presidential campaigns in my memory.

It was only a year ago that Hillary announced she was running for President and wanted to begin a conversation. She was inevitable. I did a photo comic that began with her saying:

"As you already know, I'm going to be your next President. It's inevitable. But first we need to begin a conversation. Usually, when there's a conversation, people talk and listen to each other. But consider this... I'm a Yale-trained lawyer who lived and worked in the White House for 8 years. This is my 7th year as a senator. And what have YOU done? Clean toilets in an office building? So tell me: Which of us should do the talking and which the listening? Hmmm? Good, now let me begin that conversation."

But, of course, I turned out to be wrong about the inevitability. I also turned out to be wrong about Obama. I quoted him last June in one of my Inquiring Photographer posts saying, "It's nice of you to think I'm running for president. Since I'm only going to end up as Hillary's running mate, maybe you should ask her."

How little did I know!

The battle between the two has become pretty vicious, but totally hilarious for those of us who don't intend to vote for either of them this fall.

The latest is that Hillary keeps repeating that she has a lifetime of experience, that Sen. McCain has a lifetime of experience, and that Sen. Obama has a speech he gave in 2002. Video here.

Not to be outdone, Obama's foreign policy advisor, responding to Hillary's ad about who's ready to take that call at 3:00 in the morning, says on TV that "they're both not ready to have that 3 a.m. phone call." Video here.

So how did we get here? Anyone have an answer?

I don't know, myself, but I'm planning to start popping that popcorn now. It'll be a fun spring.