Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


March 11, 2008

A Harvard professor goes to the movies

Prof. Orlando Patterson: I have spent my life studying the pictures and symbols of racism and slavery, and when I saw Macauley Culkin, that pasty blond boy in "Home Alone," defending his house, I immediately thought of the son of the plantation master keeping the slaves out. You see the black faces lurking in the bushes . . . and don't tell me those burglars are white, 'cause it don't mean s---. What's important is the image, and the image is of white America in gated communities keeping the black man down and locking him out.

Prof. Orlando Patterson: Yeah, and don't even get me started about the way they treat O.J. in "Naked Gun."

UPDATE (3/12): Double or nothing from the prof.