Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


December 12, 2006

I'll shed no tears for WGMS

Supposedly, classical music fans are up in arms over the plan to sell WGMS in Washington, a classical music station, to Dan Snyder so he can broadcast even more Redskins stuff. All Redskins all the time.

I'm sorry if I can't get worked up over this. WGMS is an awful station. It's not just that it's moved to a weaker frequency. It's that WGMS programs classical music as if we were all a bunch of uneducated morons who use it as background music at work. The station regularly plays a single movement of a multi-movement piece, doesn't announce the performers, limits its programming to "safe" music, invites congressmen to program an hour of time, has advertising geared to the rich geriatric crowd, and I could go on.

My advice: Get a decent FM radio and listen to WBJC in Baltimore, which is a far better classical station. Or listen to CDs.