Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


November 29, 2005

Adios, Stan Berenstain

I didn't want Stan Berenstain to die. I just wanted him to stop writing those horrendous books. The Washington Post obit mentions Charles Krauthammer's 1989 column entitled "Drown the Berenstain Bears," which I've tried to get a copy of for years (without doing any hard work, of course).

"I hate the Berenstain Bears," columnist Charles Krauthammer fumed in 1989. "The raging offense of the Berenstains is the post-feminist Papa Bear, the Alan Alda of Grizzlies, a wimp so passive and fumbling he makes Dagwood Bumstead look like Batman."
More trashing of the bears in this 1999 piece in Salon.

UPDATE (11/30): Many thanks to Soccer Dad, who got me the Krauthammer column through the library. What's a library?